This is the best gluten-free chocolate chip cookies recipe! They are crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside, and full of rich, caramel flavor.
Why I love these cookies
What I love is how quick and easy they are to make. All you need is a bowl, a whisk, and a rubber spatula, making clean-up super fast. A cookie scoop is helpful but you can easily use a regular spoon to scoop the dough. These cookies are filled with simple ingredients, uses coconut sugar, and is lower in sugar than traditional chocolate chip cookies.
If you'd rather just eat cookie dough, try my healthy cookie dough bites to satisfy your cravings.
Melted ghee or coconut oil: makes these cookies crispy on the outside and chewy and dense on the inside.
Coconut sugar: adds a rich, caramel flavor.
Egg: adds richness and structure, just one egg is all you need.
Vanilla extract: helps elevate and deepen the flavors.
Almond flour: is Paleo and Keto friendly and high in healthy fats and fiber.
Baking soda: adds to the structure and texture.
Sea salt: elevates the chocolatey goodness.
Chocolate chips: I like to use bittersweet chocolate chips, but you could also use semi-sweet.
- Make sure to use melted ghee or coconut oil. This will help the cookies spread beautifully in the oven. It will also give the cookies a crispy edge with a dense centre.
- Cool your ghee or coconut oil slightly before you add it to your batter ingredients. You don’t want the hot oil to cook your egg.
- The cookies will spread on their own so there is no need to press them on the cookie sheet. Just make sure to leave a couple of inches between each dough ball for room to spread.
- A non-stick cookie sheet, silicone baking mat or unbleached parchment paper are super helpful to get the baked cookies off the pan.
- If possible, measure your ingredients by weight. These cookies were developed by weight and it helps to have the perfect cookie every time.
- Your choice of chocolate chips matter. Dark bittersweet chocolate will melt less than semi-sweet. So, if you want a gooey chocolate chip cookie, then opt for the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Keep an eye on your baking time. The longer they bake, the crispier they will be, so bake them to your liking.
Common question about the chocolate chip cookies
If you want crispy cookies then there is no need to chill the dough. If you like softer cookies then chill your dough from 30 minutes to 24 hours before baking.
These cookies have only been tested with almond flour so I don’t know if they will work with another flour. If you try it, let me know!
How to store gluten-free chocolate chip cookies
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for 5 days.
- You can freeze the cookies for up to 3 months. Just store them in an airtight container separated by parchment paper so they don’t stick together.
- The dough can be frozen as well. Just separate the dough into balls on a parchment lined tray and freeze. Then, place the frozen dough balls in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake them, just preheat the oven and bake from frozen. You may have to add a few minutes to the baking time.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 large baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 1 large bowl
- ½ cup melted (and cooled) ghee or coconut oil (113 grams)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (95 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour (192 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (127 grams) (I use bittersweet)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. You may need two baking sheets depending on the size you have available.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ghee, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy, and well combined.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir well to combine, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop or spoon (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough), scoop cookie dough 2-inches apart onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookie edges are golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.