Hearty and healthy, this spicy red lentil soup recipe will soothe you with aromatic warming spices. It's a nutritious comforting soup everyone will enjoy!
Why I love this easy lentil soup recipe
This is the best lentil soup recipe! It is naturally gluten-free, vegan, and filled with feel-good ingredients and a cozy mix of spices. Lentils are a rich source of protein and fiber, making them filling and satisfying. They're also high in folate, potassium and iron, supporting you heart, keeping your blood pressure in check and warding off fatigue.
This easy lentil soup will quickly become your all-time favorite spicy lentil soup since it's so easy to make, versatile, creamy and satisfying.
Enjoy this hardy soup with a side of crunchy kale salad with spicy peanut vinaigrette.
- Extra virgin olive oil is used to sauté the vegetables.
- Onion, celery and carrots are a mirepoix of vegetables that form the base flavor of the soup.
- Garlic adds some depth to the creamy soup.
- Curry powder, ground cumin and cayenne pepper are aromatic warming spices that combined, gives the dish depth and a little heat.
- Vegetable broth is filled with nutrients and adds a richness of flavor.
- Canned diced tomatoes adds a lovely texture.
- Coconut milk adds creaminess. Make sure to use full-fat, it will give more richness to the soup.
- Red lentils melt into a delicious creamy bliss when used in a thick and hearty dish like this spicy lentil soup. Give them a good rinse and pick out any small stones that may have made their way into the batch before cooking.
- Fresh ginger gives the soup a warm bite with tangy freshness.
- Sea salt enhances the flavors.
- Baby spinach provides a rich source of fiber, protein, iron and other vitamins and minerals.
- Lemon gives the finished soup a bright, fresh pop of flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent. Adjust the heat if needed to keep vegetables from browning. About 10 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low, and add the curry powder and cayenne pepper, stirring as the mixture becomes fragrant. About 1 minute.
Add the broth, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, ginger and sea salt. Raise the heat to high and bring to a slight boil then immediately reduce heat to medium.
Simmer, uncovered on medium until lentils are tender. About 20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Add the spinach and lemon juice. Stir gently to allow the spinach to wilt.
Serve with a few sprigs of parsley and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes.
This curry lentil soup is truly the best lentil soup and so easy to make with pantry ingredients. It's naturally gluten-free and vegan and super versatile. Switching up lentils, broth or hearty greens will still leave you with a nutritious, well-balanced meal you can enjoy any day of the week.
- Red lentils - brown or green lentils are most similar to red but will take slightly longer to cook (about 10 minutes more). Their coloring is not as vibrant as the red lentils which turn a beautiful orange hue. The red lentils also have a slightly fragrant flavor to them.
- Vegetable broth - you can use chicken broth but it would no longer be vegan lentil soup. Mushroom broth is also a good option if you want a deep earthiness in your vegetable soup. Water can be used in a pinch but you may miss out on some of the flavors a good stock can bring.
- Coconut milk - this can be left out if you don't like it but it adds a nice creaminess and I don't find you taste the coconut.
- Canned diced tomatoes - use fire-roasted tomatoes if you want to add some smokiness.
- Baby spinach - you can swap in some slivered kale or Swiss chard.
- Lemon - lime is a good substitute and will still give you that bright, fresh flavor.
- Spices - if spicy isn't your thing then you can leave out the cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes.
This spicy red lentil soup recipe holds up really well to storing. You can store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months.Print