Dip your spoon into this spicy creamy potato corn chowder soup. It's gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free. Fresh corn, red potatoes and a little heat from the jalapeños takes this healthy creamy corn chowder recipe over the top!
Why you'll love this gluten-free corn chowder recipe
- Healthy - this sweet summer gluten free corn chowder is dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free. Made with fresh summer corn and creamy red potatoes. Simple pantry ingredients that come together to make a creamy soup that's oh, so delicious!
- Ultra creamy - the creaminess comes from coconut cream, but feel free to substitute with cashew cream instead. There's also the addition of nutritional yeast which is rich in vitamin B12 and helps to thicken the corn soup.
- Easy to make - this simple soup is made with plant-based ingredients and tastes like summer any time of year. It's savory, satisfying, mildly spicy, hearty and creamy.
- Versatile - use frozen corn in place of fresh corn. Swap the potatoes for grated cauliflower. Use cashew cream instead of coconut cream. Add more heat with zingy peppers. Add less heat with red bell peppers. Super easy to make it your own!
Serve this ultra creamy gluten free corn chowder soup with Kale Mango Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette, Balsamic Baked Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms (vegan) or Baked Lemon Garlic Salmon Romesco. Other great soups to try are Easy Creamy White Bean and Mushroom Soup, White Bean and Vegetable Soup with Kale or my Creamy White Bean Chicken Chili with Cauliflower.
Noteworthy ingredients and substitutions
- Onion, celery and garlic - give a nice base to the creamy chowder. Try Spanish onion for some extra heat.
- Jalapeño peppers - add mild spiciness to the soup. Substitute poblano peppers which are similar in spiciness to jalapeños. If you prefer no heat than swap for red bell peppers.
- Smoked paprika and dried mustard - blend well together to add a mild smokiness with a touch of tangy heat. If you prefer your chowder mild, use sweet paprika and omit the ground mustard.
- Potatoes - provide creamy texture and takes on a lot of flavor in this soup recipe. Hearty potatoes like red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes work really well. If you prefer a low-carb creamy corn chowder without potatoes then substitute about 3 cups of cauliflower rice for the potatoes.
- Fresh corn - is perfect during corn-on-the-cob season. You could also substitute a 16-ounce bag of frozen corn kernels, saving you from removing the kernels from the cob.
- Vegetable broth - can be substituted with chicken broth if you've not cooking vegan.
- Coconut cream - adds the creaminess into the dairy-free chowder without the need for heavy cream. I like to use full-fat coconut milk and I don't find that it tastes like coconut but if you prefer, use cashew cream instead. ½ cup cashews soaked in 1 cup boiling water for at least 30 minutes. Blend (adding extra water if needed) and add to recipe in place of coconut cream. You can also substitute non-dairy milk but the chowder will be less creamy.
- Nutritional yeast - adds a nice boost of B12 to the soup and helps to thicken the broth.
- Toppings - garnish the best gluten free corn chowder with chopped chives, green onions, parsley, or red chili flakes. If you're not vegan, chopped bacon or pancetta add a nice salty bold flavor to finish the dish.
See recipe card for all ingredients and quantities.
How to make spicy creamy corn chowder soup
- Chop your vegetables and have all your ingredients ready before preparing the corn chowder recipe.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and jalapeño and sauté while onions soften. Add garlic and stir.
- Add smoked paprika and dried mustard, stir.
- Add potatoes and corn, stir well.
- Add broth, coconut cream, nutritional yeast and salt. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, simmer and cook uncovered until potatoes soften. About 15-20 minutes.
- Liquid will reduced slightly and the corn soup will thicken.
- In a blender transfer about 3 cups of soup and blend until smooth. Add creamy soup back to pot. If using an immersion blender, pulse a few times to cream some of the soup, leaving some of the soup chunky and textured.
- Serve hot. Garnish with chives and red pepper flakes for some extra heat.
Tips, tricks and variations
- Coconut alternative - use vegan cashew cream instead of coconut cream to thicken the broth. ½ cup cashews soaked in 1 cup boiling water for at least 30 minutes. Blend (adding extra water if needed) and add to recipe in place of coconut cream.
- Spicy - try adding serrano peppers if you want to bump up the spice. Finish your dish with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little extra heat and a nice color to the dish.
- Corn flavor - after removing the kernels from the cob, add the cob to the soup while it simmers for extra corn flavor. Don't forget to remove the cobs before serving.
- Store - leftover corn chowder can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The chowder can be frozen for up to 3 months. The consistency may change slightly after freezing.
Adding more coconut cream or cashew cream and less broth will make the chowder thicker. You can also add more potatoes or swap the potatoes for cauliflower rice and add an extra half cup to a cup for a thicker creamy corn chowder. Increasing the amount of nutritional yeast will also do the trick.
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review and ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below!