This decadent 4-ingredient chocolate bread (banana chip loaf) will satisfy all your chocolate cravings. Only four simple ingredients to make this chocolate loaf super moist and naturally sweet. Perfect for breakfast, afternoon snack or an easy healthy dessert.
Why this easy banana bread recipe works
Easy - only 4 simple ingredients: eggs, bananas, dark chocolate chips, coconut flour. All mixed together in one bowl. This chocolate chip loaf recipe is rich, decadent and super moist without extra add-ins.
Healthy - no yellow cake mix and no self-rising flour. This recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, vegan and oil-free. There is no added sugar as the sweetness comes from the bananas and coconut flour.
Swipe on a dollop of my Quick and Easy Homemade Almond Butter, or Homemade Peanut Butter to bump up the protein. For more great breakfast or snack recipes try my Double Chocolate Carrot Zucchini Muffins, my Best Paleo Banana Bread with Coconut Flour and my Apple Buckwheat Pancakes with Diced Maple Apples.
Key ingredients and substitutions
- Large eggs - must be at room temperature so the melted chocolate doesn't harden when combining. Eggs are used as a binder to produce a tender crumb.
- Overripe bananas - add sweetness to this quick bread recipe.
- Dark chocolate chips - or mini chocolate chips are melted and combined into the chocolate chip banana bread batter. You cannot substitute with unsweetened cocoa powder but you can add a tablespoon for a double chocolate effect (reduce coconut flour by 2 tablespoons).
- Coconut flour - adds more natural sweetness to this easy recipe. Coconut flour is your only dry ingredients and is unique and cannot be easily substituted in this recipe.
See recipe card for all ingredients and quantities.
Step-by-step how to make quick chocolate bread
- 4x6-inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper
- large mixing bowl or medium mixing bowl
- hand-held electric mixer, or whisk
- Heat oven to 350°F and prepare a 4x8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add room temperature eggs. Whisk on high speed until frothy, light and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add mashed banana and mix on medium speed with hand mixer just until fully blended.
- Drizzle in melted dark chocolate and mix until just incorporated.
- Sprinkle coconut flour into wet ingredients and mix until evenly spread throughout batter, do not overmix.
Hint - allow the batter to rest for 5-10 minutes before placing in the oven. This gives the coconut flour a chance to absorb some of the liquid and soften before baking.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Put in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Cooking time may vary between 35-40 minutes bake time.
- Remove from oven and let cool in prepared loaf pans for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Expert tips and variations
Double the recipe - make a big batch of quick breads and freeze a few loaves in thick slices. Thaw, toast or warm and add a swipe of gooey peanut butter or almond butter for an easy breakfast or afternoon snack.
Variety with add-ins - sometimes it's fun to add a little extra to amp up the texture and flavor in your favorite ways. A little bit of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg or cloves can give the loaf a pop of warm spice.
A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder (remove 2 tablespoons of coconut flour) or a teaspoon of espresso powder and vanilla extract can amp up the rich chocolate flavor. Or, mix in a ¼ cup of chocolate chips or chopped nuts to give the chocolate loaf cake some added texture.
Storage - this quick chocolate bread recipe can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. Freeze as a full loaf or in thick slices in plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
The darker the banana ripens, the more natural sugars and sweetness that develop. Your bananas should be super ripe with brown spots or darkening patches, and a little soft. I prefer not to use bananas that have gone completely black because I find they taste slightly off-putting.
Moisture is the key ingredient to the perfect banana bread recipe. If your chocolate banana bread is not moist enough then try weighing your ingredients next time. Coconut flour absorbs a ton of moisture so if you add too much coconut flour to the recipe you will end up with a dry crumb.
Suggested breakfast and snack ideas
- Best Paleo Banana Bread with Coconut Flour
- Double Chocolate Carrot Zucchini Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Scones (no egg, gf)
- Fresh Ginger Apple Muffins with Crumble Topping
More recipes to try
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review and ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below!Print