These protein-packed easy chicken muffins are loaded with ground chicken, shredded carrots and a savory mixture of Italian seasoning. Perfect as an appetizer, lunch, dinner or grab-and-go snack.
Why you'll love these healthy chicken muffins
- Almost 20 grams of protein per muffin! Great way to reach your daily value of protein.
- Perfect for dinner or have one for breakfast, lunch, crumbled on your salad, or individually wrapped for an on-the-go snack. It's a great alternative to leftover chicken breast.
- Meatloaf muffins are easy, compact and versatile for quick and healthy meal prep and portion control.
- These ground chicken muffins are soft, moist, savory, flavorful, lean, gluten-free, dairy-free, and they won't give you the meat-sweats!
For more easy meal ideas try my Balsamic Baked Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms (vegan), Simple Teriyaki Chicken (easy 20 minute recipe), Creamy White Bean Chicken Chili with Cauliflower, Vegan Chickpea Veggie Burgers or my White Fish Tacos with Mango Mint Salsa.
Noteworthy ingredients and substitutions
- Eggs: help to bind the ingredients.
- Tomato paste: is also used as a binder and adds some richness of flavor to these savory muffins.
- Hot sauce: gives the meatloaf muffins a boost. You can also substitute 2 tablespoons of buffalo sauce to make buffalo chicken muffins.
- Italian seasoning: makes these savory chicken muffins outstanding. You can use a blend of other dried spices like sage, oregano, thyme or rosemary but make sure to use the full 2 tablespoons since it really enhances the flavor of the ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Lean ground chicken: has tons of protein and makes the perfect base for this muffin pan chicken. You can substitute ground turkey or ground beef in this easy recipe.
- Rolled oats: give the muffins texture and fiber.
- Sweet onion: add savory flavor. Swap with regular onion or shallots.
- Carrots: add texture and a heaping of vegetables.
See recipe card for all ingredients and quantities.
How to make high-protein healthy chicken muffins
Prepare pan: Use a 12-cup silicone muffin tin, or line muffin tin with 12 silicone muffin cups, or lightly oil muffin tin.
Preheat: Preheat oven to 350°F.
Muffin mixture: In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Whisk in tomato paste, hot sauce, Italian seasoning and sea salt. Add ground chicken, rolled oats, onions and carrots. Use your hands or a large spoon and gently blend the mixture together, careful not to over mix. You want everything evenly mixed without packing too firmly.
Muffins: Divide mixture evenly among 12 muffin cups, forming mounds.
Topping: In a small bowl whisk together tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, honey and sea salt. Brush over top of meat muffin mounds.
Bake: Bake for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Tips, Tricks and Variations
- Use a silicone muffin tin or silicone molds to prevent sticking since these lean chicken meatloaf muffins are low in fat. Or, grease your muffin tin well before adding the chicken mixture.
- Try not to over mix and compact the ingredients once the ground chicken is added. This will make the muffins dense rather than full and juicer.
- Make a large batch and freeze individually wrapped portions.
- Skip the muffin topping and add marinara sauce instead.
- 12 cup muffin tin, or silicone muffin pan
- 12 silicone molds or greased muffin tin with coconut oil or cooking spray
- Large bowl and small bowl
- Store: Store the chicken muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Wrap individually for a quick on-the-go snack.
- Freeze: These muffins freeze well for up to 3 months. Wrap individually then place in an airtight container to maintain freshness.