These healthy carrot cake oatmeal nut breakfast bars taste like a decadent treat filled with nuts, oats, banana and tons of shredded carrots. Enjoy the taste of carrot cake in an easy carrot cake oatmeal bar perfect for breakfast or a quick snack.
Why you'll love these carrot cake oatmeal breakfast bars
- These carrot oatmeal bars have a cake-like texture and taste just like carrot cake in a perfect bite size healthy snack. They're thick, chewy and almost fudgy.
- Carrot cake for breakfast? These squares are loaded with fiber, protein and healthy fats to balance out your day.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, oil-free, sugar-free oatmeal breakfast bars. Made from wholesome ingredients and vegan.
- Quick to make, easy and flavorful for an on-the-go breakfast or perfect snack.
- These oatmeal breakfast bars are naturally sweetened with dates and no added sugar.
Noteworthy ingredients and substitutions
- Cashews and walnuts: adds some crunch and texture. Swap the nuts for pecans, almonds or pistachios for a different flavor combination.
- Quick cooking rolled oats (gluten free): adds heart healthy protein, fiber and carbs. You can substitute for old fashioned rolled oats if you like more texture in your healthy carrot cake bars.
- Bananas: add creaminess.
- Carrots: are loaded with beta carotene for eye health. You can substitute grated parsnips in this easy recipe.
- Dates: add natural sweetness and high in fiber and antioxidants.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger: add just the right amount of warming spices.
See recipe card for all ingredients and quantities.
How to make these moist carrot cake breakfast bars
Preheat oven: preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch baking pan with two sheets of parchment paper in a criss-cross pattern to cover bottom and sides of pan.
Process: add cashews, pecans, oats, bananas, carrots, dates, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and sea salt to food processor. Mix until combined and mixture sticks together easily.
Pan: pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly.
Bake: bake for 14-16 minutes until firm and toothpick comes out mostly clean.
Cool: cool completely in pan and cut into bars or squares.
Tips, Tricks and Variations
- Add old fashioned rolled oats for more texture.
- Mix all ingredients except carrots in the food processor, then pulse in the carrots at the end to have larger layers of carrots throughout the healthy carrot cake bars.
- Feel free to use other nuts like almonds, pecans or pistachios. You can also swap in chia seeds or hemp hearts for extra protein.
If you want to bump up the protein, feel free to add a scoop or two of your favorite protein powder. You can also add hemp hearts or chia seeds to increase the protein.
- Food processor
- 8-inch square pan
- Parchment paper
- Store: The carrot cake breakfast bars can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week. If stacking the bars, make sure to separate each layer with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Freeze: The bars can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Wrap each bar or square individually for a quick grab-and-go snack.