This flavorful vegan white bean and vegetable soup with kale is quick and easy to put together. It makes a great weeknight meal filled with healthy satisfying mixed vegetables and creamy white beans.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white part only, chopped (or 1 large onion)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1-2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (~100 grams) coarsely chopped cauliflower
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 large potato, diced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 8 cups (16 ounces) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans
- 6-8 kale leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Garnish with fresh parsley, cilantro or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Warm oil and add leeks (or onions), carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Sauté while vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, zucchini, potato, sage and ginger. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. If vegetables begin to dry add a splash of vegetable broth or water.
- Add broth and beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add kale and mix. Remove from heat and add a splash of lemon juice.
- Top with fresh parsley, cilantro or crushed red pepper flakes.
You can add or swap other vegetables here like fire-roasted tomatoes, sweet potato, butternut squash, peas, green beans. Try and keep the ratios the same if you're swapping but you can also add more broth if your soup is too thick.
The soup keep really well in the fridge in a glass airtight container for up to 5 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months. Just thaw and reheat before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian/American
- Serving Size: 1.5 cup
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 472.9 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soup, mediterranean soup, vegetable soup