This vegan avocado and basil pesto recipe is super flavorful, creamy, quick and easy to make. It's loaded with nutrients and healthy fats and ready in 15 minutes!
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 1 cup (tightly packed) fresh basil (or large handful)
- 1 cup (tightly packed) fresh baby kale
- 1/2 cup (42 grams) hemp seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon (3-4 tablespoons)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or neutral oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons water to thin (optional)
- Add avocado, basil, kale, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, lemon zest and juice, garlic clove and olive oil to high speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thin if needed.
- It is best to eat fresh pesto after it's made since avocados have a tendency to brown. If you need to make it ahead or store leftovers, tightly pack into an airtight container with little space to slow the oxidation process.
- You could also pour a little oil (like avocado or olive oil) on top of the pesto or a layer of water (pour it off before serving) to create a seal.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: sauces and dressings
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 15.3 mg
- Fat: 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Fiber: 9.1 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: avocado pesto, avocado, basil pesto, basil, vegan