Hardy and healthy, this spicy red lentil soup recipe will soothe you with aromatic warming spices. It's a nutritious comforting soup everyone will enjoy!
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (about 2 cups / 320 grams)
- 2 ribs celery, diced (about 1 cup / 100 grams)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 1/4 cup / 160 grams)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (1 litre)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices (398 ml)
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk, full-fat (400 ml)
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained (225 grams)
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 package of baby spinach (5-ounces), roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent. Adjust the heat if needed to keep vegetables from browning. About 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the curry powder and cayenne pepper, stirring as the mixture becomes fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, ginger and sea salt. Raise the heat to high and bring to a slight boil then immediately reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, uncovered on medium until lentils are tender. About 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the spinach and lemon juice. Stir gently to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Serve with a few sprigs of parsley and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes.
- This spicy red lentil soup recipe holds up really well to storing. You can store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 300 grams
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 7.6 g
- Sodium: 361.2 mg
- Fat: 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.1 g
- Fiber: 8.6 g
- Protein: 14.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: red lentils, lentil soup, warm and cozy, spicy