This healthy and hearty roasted butternut squash salad is full of warm Fall flavors in a filling and satisfying dish.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and 1-inch diced
- 1-14 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small head garlic, cloves loosed from head, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 bunch (about 12 oz) organic kale, cleaned, de-stemmed, chopped (any type)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 medium apple or pear, sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 1/4 cup creamy tahini
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or neutral tasting oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Place squash and chickpeas on the baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt. Place unpeeled garlic cloves in the center of a square of unbleached parchment paper, top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and fold the parchment into a packet tied with kitchen twine. Place on the baking tray. Roast for 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the dressing, whisk the tahini, water, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and massage by repeatedly scrunching and releasing the kale for 3-5 minutes. This will break down the cell structure, relax the leaves and reduce the bitter taste.
- When the tray comes out of the oven, remove the garlic from the packet, peel and mash the garlic and whisk it into the dressing with any remaining garlic-infused oil.
- Place the kale in a large salad bowl or serving platter. Top with the roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, sunflower seeds and pomegranate arils. Drizzle and lightly toss with the roasted garlic tahini dressing. Tuck in the sliced apples.
For the roasted garlic, make sure to keep the peel on the garlic to lock in the juices while roasting. Also, don't surpass 45 minutes with the garlic cloves or they will overcook and harden.
This kale and butternut squash salad will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge, with or without the dressing. The apples, however, will brown in the fridge.
The roasted garlic and tahini dressing can be made ahead and will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: salad
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 1872
- Sugar: 44.3 g
- Sodium: 3813.4 mg
- Fat: 117 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 181.3 g
- Fiber: 43.5 g
- Protein: 52.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: butternut squash salad, kale salad, Thanksgiving salad, Thanksgiving side