Hearty and crisp, this crunchy kale salad with spicy peanut vinaigrette is the perfect balance of texture and flavor.
Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil (like avocado oil or refined coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari (or coconut aminos)
- 1 teaspoon natural smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch (about 10oz) kale
- 1 1/2 cup finely shredded green cabbage (1/4 small cabbage head)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint (or extra mint if not using cilantro)
- 4 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- For the vinaigrette, add the 1/3 cup of neutral oil and the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until fully incorporated. You could also add the vinaigrette ingredients to a mason jar with a lid and shake, shake, shake.
- For the kale, wash, dry, remove stems and chop or slice thinly. In a large bowl, add kale, 1 tablespoon of neutral oil and a pinch of sea salt. With clean hands, massage the kale by repeatedly scrunching and releasing the kale for 3-5 minutes. This will break down the cell structure, relax the leaves and reduce the bitter taste.
- Add the cabbage, cilantro (if using), mint, scallions and chopped peanuts to the bowl of kale and toss together.
- Pour the vinaigrette into the salad and toss until salad is well coated. Serve.
- Make sure to give the kale a good massage with your hands. Don't forget the tablespoon of oil and pinch of salt. This really helps to break up the cell wall and makes the kale much easier to eat and digest. I suggest 3-5 minutes but feel free to go longer if you really want to break down the leaves.
- The kale salad will keep well in the fridge for 3 days.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: salad
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 1579
- Sugar: 23.7 g
- Sodium: 1163.8 mg
- Fat: 136.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 69.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 67.3 g
- Fiber: 24 g
- Protein: 43.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Kale, kale salad, spicy, peanut vinaigrette