This chocolate-dipped peppermint coconut macaroons recipe is easy to make with just 6 simple ingredients. Chewy and moist on the inside, and crisp and golden on the outside. These peppermint macaroons are irresistible!
- 3 cups (8 ounces) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (3 ounces) honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large egg whites
- pinch of fine sea salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) dark chocolate, melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Place the shredded coconut, honey and peppermint extract in a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and sea salt by hand or with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes (about 2-3 minutes if by hand).
- Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture until well combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop out balls of dough (about 1 tablespoon worth). Pack the dough tightly before placing on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through. The coconut will become slightly crispy with golden tops and edges. Let cool completely on baking sheet.
- When cooled, dip the bottom of the macaroon in the melted dark chocolate and place back on parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle tops with any remaining chocolate if desired.
- Place tray in fridge for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
Make sure to pack the dough tightly in the spoon or scoop before placing on the parchment paper ready to bake. This will help to keep the coconut from becoming crumbly after baking.
Macaroons can be stored in an airtight container for a good week. They can be left on the counter but the chocolate can soften. I like to keep mine in the fridge. They can also be stored in the freezer, just make sure to freeze on a baking tray before transferring to an airtight container so they don't stick together.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 74
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 20 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.1 mg
Keywords: coconut macaroons, peppermint macaroons, chocolate macaroons, easy macaroons, coconut